Quantcast

Purple Heart application

12

Purple Heart application

crow
I just submitted my packet for the Purple Heart award. I am missing my ERB (its going to take 3 mo to get) I included my DD214 instead. Also missing is my 2 eye witness statements, I included my CIB award. That should contain the eye witness accounts that will verify my account for the Purple Heart , I hope. I am a veteran and have been out for a while. I had no idea what a TBI was until the VA rated me 10% for it in 2008. I was in three separate IED attacks in 2005-2006 while serving in Iraq. the first one was in July 2005 (I got my CIB award for. The only thing Im worried about is that I did not seek medical attention until two days after( I was on continued combat ops, long story). I was carried into the Aid station because I was dizzy and vomiting. Like I said, I never heard of a TBI. The medical officer said it was vertigo and gave me quarters for 72 hours. At the bottom of the report it said non battle related! The second attack I blacked out but withheld that info from the medic and the medical officer during the post IED physical (didn't have that for the first one) . The report stated that I was fine but it was noted that the medic gave me meds for a headache I had after the attack. To this day I suffer from dizziness, headaches, memory loss, and depleted cognitive skills(forgive my misspells , that too). After reading everyones posts it seems like a long shot for me to get the PH.
Sal

Re: Purple Heart application

Sal
Hi, well im not sure its a long shot!!!!! It depends on a few factors including what diagnosis you have and VA medical records as well as military med records. I would give all you have to a rep at local military order of purple heart and see what they think. If your packet gets kicked back at least you will know what you need to get or do. Also this site manager, i would ask them for help since they have a lot of experience in dealing with TBI for PH's. when you send packet to HRC, make sure you have all orders bringing you into theater and home again, any awards from incident, all statements from witneses and your own statement. Good luck!

Re: Purple Heart application

crow
Thanks for the info but I feel I'm setting myself up for another heart break. The va Doc told me I had TBI back in 2008, that was the first I have heard of it. Long story short, 2007 I was rated 30% for PTSD and 10% for tendinitis. I was left behind when my NG unit was deployed back to Iraq. In 2008 the VA increased my PTSD to 70% and that was when I was screened for TBI. The test determined that I did have a TBI and the 10% for tendinitis turned into 10% TBI ( don't know how that happened). Anyway they withheld my comp because I was still drilling with my unit(they were in Iraq I was back here)so I requested to be medically retired after 17 good years. They promised me a MRB that never came. So they basically kicked me out and would not let me back in to finish my 3 years. (because of my VA rating)

Re: Purple Heart application

CavTrooper
You need to request ALL your service treatment records from either the NPRC or your VA regional office. Second get in contact with your old Army buddies who witnessed the events, I think you will absolutely need those 2 statements. You will need to read your medical records front to back paying close attention to the wording / details, if you had a TBI (it must be documented) then your medical evidence is in those records. Next get those sworn statements from your old buddies! Make duplicate copies of your packet keep one and mail the other to HRC. The ERB is not a bid deal, they can print that out for you but you can also check IPERMS it might actually be uploaded there with your DD214. Just because you received a CIB does not entitle you to the PH this is what HRC will tell you, you need that medical evidence supporting you did indeed incur a TBI during combat operations.

Re: Purple Heart application

crow
Thanks guys, I sent my packet in last week. I included my service connection for TBI. In it they connected the TBI with the second IED blast that I had the post IED physical from. Like I said before, the army never gave me the med review board. Also I just have the medical report from when I was carried into the aid station 2 days after the blast. I know now that it was signs of a TBI, but back then I went with what the med officer said it was, vertigo non battle related. Forgive me if Im a little gun shy about going through all this but I been through a lot. The army kicked me out without the retirement I deserve, the VA has denied me individual umemployability because I had to return to work after three months( bills not paid). It took them a year to respond and they had the nerve to write in the denial letter that they glad I was feeling better and returned to work. Then I applied for an increase to 100% that took another year to denie me.I  even had the recommendation from VA DR's. That has been on appeal for a year and a half( no word).To top it off my civ employer disregards the ADA and will not let me take time off for treatment.I decided to take the warrior way, suck it up and Charlie Mike

Re: Purple Heart application

crow
Before you say it, I have written my congress person. It's been 5 mo. No response. If I do get denied for the PH then as a last resort I will go to NPR. They did a series of interviews with myself and my family when I returned from Iraq in 2006. I will see if they want to do another interview and make myself into a poster boy for veterans rights.

Re: Purple Heart application

crow
OK I have spoken with my combat buddies and it should be no problem getting those statements. I will send them in to be added to my packet as soon as I receive them. I don't have access to my AKO account or IPERMS anymore because of CaC ??? Does anyone know a faster way to get my ERB besides waiting 3 mo from the NA?
Sal

Re: Purple Heart application

Sal
I dont have CAC and i can access my records. just sign up for ako. wait, sorry! are you active, reserve or retired, or cpmpletely out of service?

Re: Purple Heart application

crow
Out of service.

Re: Purple Heart application

CavTrooper
Email Army HRC at; askhrc.army@us.army.mil as for a copy of your ERB + Discharge documents too. They might require you to fill out a form, scan and email it back to them. Worst thing you will have to mail the form in and wait for it to be mailed back to you.

Roger, Thanks
Sal

Re: Purple Heart application

Sal
Crow, so whats your status? Very quiet on this site for a while. I cant believe there arent more troopers who need help!!!!

Maybe thats a good thing....

Re: Purple Heart application

crow
Just waiting for an answer. Also I contacted a buddy of mine about giving an eye witness statement. Two months ago he was at the VA having an x-ray and they found a piece of shrapnel. It was from 2005 during the same attack I got my TBI. I told the medic to take a look at him because he was bleeding. He was not put in for the PH either. So we are going to start the app for him as well.

Sent from my iPhone

http://purple-heart-medals-for-traumatic-brain-injury.2433321.n2.nabble.com/Purple-Heart-application-tp7267983p7399300.html
To unsubscribe from Purple Heart application, click here.
NAML

Out of the 4 people in my company who got the PH, 2 caused outrage. Both got boo boos during an IED attack. After that you would of needed to lose a limb to be put in for it. I know at least 6 others beside my self who deserve it. The guys I contacted in the last few months told me I should have got 3 PH s. I would be happy with 1. I have a lot of work to do to make sure these guys get what they deserve. Hopefully mine goes through as well. Let you know how it turns out.
Sal

Re: Purple Heart application

Sal
Ok, good luck with your packet. They are def approving more PH's for TBI's. There trying to show they are doing there best....

good luck,
Sal

Re: Purple Heart application

Chris N.
I have been reading your posts and in a similar situation. How did you go about submitting your packet for a PH?? I am currently still enlisted and actively drilling with the Reserve. Any help is appreciated.
fullnelson1122@yahoo.com

Re: Purple Heart application

crow
Chris, If you are still in you need to fill out a form ! Even if you are National Guard. Make sure you have all your ducks in row. I have been denied twice now on technicalities even though i deserve it right off the bat. I have a Sgt. Major helping me that the board assigned to me( because they know and they don't want me to give up on something I deserve) You know the Army..... Never give up! Get what you deserve no matter what. Also contact Sal, He has been a big help in my case.

I have been reading your posts and in a similar situation. How did you go about submitting your packet for a PH?? I am currently still enlisted and actively drilling with the Reserve. Any help is appreciated.

http://purple-heart-medals-for-traumatic-brain-injury.2433321.n2.nabble.com/Purple-Heart-application-tp7267983p7559282.html
To unsubscribe from Purple Heart application, click here.
NAML
RDp

Re: Purple Heart application

RDp
I agree man, they denied my PH because I was hit by a friendly grenade during an ambush in Iraq.  I got shrapnel in my arm and shoulder. Like you said, you have to lose an arm and a leg, no pun intended for my fellow vets.  But now, the shrapnel hurts and people ask why i didnt get a purple heart and its emberassing that even under fire, they wouldnt consider it.

Re: Purple Heart application

DesStormVet
RDp - you should submit your application again even if it was a friendly grenade.  AR 600-8-22 states that the degreee to which the enemy caused the injury should be considered.  If you were in the middle of an enemy ambush I would think that counts.  It was not negligence on your part and it would not have happened if the enemy was not coming at you.  You deserve it - keep trying!  Good Luck.

Re: Purple Heart application

matrixmxm
I was wounded in 2008 and diagnosed with TBI in 2009, as a result of all combat related disability medically discharged in 2013, rated 30 for TBI, 10 tinnitus, 50 PTSD 50 Herniated lower back disks and 20 and 10s but combined 90 with Unemployables (100%) I submitted my packed for Purple heart to HRC 3 different time and denied, the packet includes, 3 swearing statements, DA Form 4187, 40, pages of medical record, my own personal statement total of 61 pages faxed and electronically submitted 3 times and denied by some POS fat MAJ, am I looking forward to apply again? NO the reason is I have a Muslim name and I for sure know nothing beside that made that idiot denied it! I just want to tell all the POS morons at HRC that my name didn't matter to the enemy I took the same bullet everyone else did. At end the only piece of shit you own in the DOD is your pay, one day you will be replaced by someone with a bit of brain!
12